Please note, before you can choose the low cost generic option, please ask your doctor to add the generic drug to your prescription.
What is EMIKIND Tablet used for?
EMIKIND Tablet is used for the treatment of schizophrenia and prevention of severe nausea and vomiting. It is also used to treat anxiety, which is inadequately controlled with the use of first-line anti-anxiety drugs.
EMIKIND Tablet may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does EMIKIND Tablet work?
EMIKIND Tablet belongs to the class of drugs called phenothiazines. This drug acts by blocking the dopamine receptors and increasing dopamine turnover. It also acts by blocking certain receptors, which results in sedation, muscle relaxation and hypotension. It exhibits anti-emetic property by blocking the action of dopamine in chemoreceptor trigger zone.
How to use EMIKIND Tablet?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Use EMIKIND Tablet as prescribed by your doctor.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug with food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
- EMIKIND Tablet injection should be administered only under medical supervision.
If you miss a dose of EMIKIND Tablet, please consult the doctor immediately.
The overdose symptoms of EMIKIND Tablet may include:
- Severe drowsiness
- Irregular heartbeat
What are the drugs that interact with EMIKIND Tablet?
Drugs that interact with EMIKIND Tablet include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of EMIKIND Tablet?
The following are the most common side effects of EMIKIND Tablet:
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Increased appetite
The following are the severe side effects, and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Muscle stiffness
- Mood swings
- Change in eyesight
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while using EMIKIND Tablet?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to EMIKIND Tablet or similar drugs.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if EMIKIND Tablet causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Avoid EMIKIND Tablet during pregnancy or breastfeeding because the safe use of the drug is not yet established.
- Do not stop using the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Stopping the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
- Do not exceed the dose more than prescribed.
- Be cautious while using EMIKIND Tablet if you have any kidney or liver impairment.
You are advised not to use EMIKIND Tablet if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering, or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before using EMIKIND Tablet?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of kidney, liver, heart or respiratory diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Notify your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked questions about EMIKIND Tablet
- Is it safe to use EMIKIND Tablet in patients with glaucoma?
- What is the usual dose of adult EMIKIND Tablet tablet?
- What are the other formulations of EMIKIND Tablet available?
- Can I take antacids while using EMIKIND Tablet?
No. EMIKIND Tablet may cause blurred vision and visual disturbances, so it is unsafe to use EMIKIND Tablet in patients with eye diseases, such as glaucoma. However, please inform your doctor before using the drug.
The usual adult dose of EMIKIND Tablet tablet is 40 mg per day. However, the dosage may depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual.
EMIKIND Tablet is also available as rectal suppositories.
No. Antacids may reduce the absorption of EMIKIND Tablet and alter the effects of EMIKIND Tablet. Therefore, it is not advised to take antacids while on EMIKIND Tablet medication.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.