Please note, before you can choose the low cost generic option, please ask your doctor to add the generic drug to your prescription.
What is DIACON 5mg Tablet used for?
DIACON 5mg Tablet is an oral anti-diabetic medicine, which is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. This drug should be used in conjunction with diet and exercise regimen to improve glycaemic control.
DIACON 5mg Tablet may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does DIACON 5mg Tablet work?
DIACON 5mg Tablet belongs to the class of drugs called sulfonylureas. This drug acts by stimulating the insulin release from the pancreatic cells and increasing the peripheral insulin uptake. It helps in decreasing the blood glucose levels.
How to take DIACON 5mg Tablet?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take DIACON 5mg Tablet as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Usually, this combination should be taken with the first meal of the day.
If you miss a dose of DIACON 5mg Tablet, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The overdose symptoms of DIACON 5mg Tablet may include:
- Profuse sweating
What are the drugs that interact with DIACON 5mg Tablet?
Drugs that interact with DIACON 5mg Tablet include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of DIACON 5mg Tablet?
The following are the most common side effects of DIACON 5mg Tablet:
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar levels)
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions DIACON 5mg Tablet?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to DIACON 5mg Tablet or similar drugs.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may worsen the side effects of DIACON 5mg Tablet.
- Do not stop using DIACON 5mg Tablet medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if DIACON 5mg Tablet causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Avoid DIACON 5mg Tablet during pregnancy or breastfeeding because the safe use of the drug is not yet established.
You are advised not to take DIACON 5mg Tablet if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking DIACON 5mg Tablet?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of diabetic ketoacidosis, liver or kidney disorders.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
Frequently Asked Questions about DIACON 5mg Tablet
- Should I follow any dietary instructions while on DIACON 5mg Tablet medication?
- How should DIACON 5mg Tablet be stored?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking DIACON 5mg Tablet?
- Can I take DIACON 5mg Tablet for type 1 diabetes?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of DIACON 5mg Tablet?
You must strictly follow the diet recommended by your dietician for effective glycaemic control.
DIACON 5mg Tablet is stored at room temperature (25 – 30OC). Keep the medicine away from direct sunlight.
Yes, regular monitoring of blood sugar levels and red blood cell count is advised while on DIACON 5mg Tablet.
No, DIACON 5mg Tablet is prescribed only for type 2 diabetic patients.
No, altering the dose of DIACON 5mg Tablet is not advised. The drug should be taken as prescribed.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.