What is Tamoxifen Citrate used for?
Tamoxifen Citrate is used for the treatment and prevention of breast cancer and anovulatory infertility.
Tamoxifen Citrate may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Tamoxifen Citrate work?
Tamoxifen Citrate belongs to the class of drugs called anti-neoplastic agents. This drug primarily acts by binding to the oestrogen receptor and blocking the action of the oestrogen on mammary epithelial cells. This reduces the growth of the cancer cells.
How to take Tamoxifen Citrate?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Tamoxifen Citrate as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet/capsule whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet/capsule. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
If you miss a dose of Tamoxifen Citrate, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with Tamoxifen Citrate?
Drugs that interact with Tamoxifen Citrate include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Tamoxifen Citrate?
The following are the most common side effects of Tamoxifen Citrate:
- Fluid retention
- Hot flushes
- Missed periods
- Pain and swelling of the limbs
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Blistering and peeling of the skin
- Blurry vision
- Change in vaginal discharge
- Increased liver enzymes
- Skin rash
- Vaginal bleeding
- Yellow eyes or skin
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Tamoxifen Citrate?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Tamoxifen Citrate or similar drugs.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of Tamoxifen Citrate.
- Do not stop using the medication abruptly unless instructed by the doctor. Stopping the medication suddenly may cause the illness to return.
- Be cautious while taking Tamoxifen Citrate if you have any kidney or liver impairment.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
You are advised not to take Tamoxifen Citrate if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Tamoxifen Citrate?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of heart, kidney and liver diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you were treated for abnormal blood clots or stroke.
- Tell your doctor if you have undergone radiation or chemotherapy.
Frequently asked questions about Tamoxifen Citrate
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking Tamoxifen Citrate?
- Does Tamoxifen Citrate medicine interfere with the diagnostic test results?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of Tamoxifen Citrate?
Yes, it is advised to monitor blood cell count and liver function while taking Tamoxifen Citrate medicine.
Yes, Tamoxifen Citrate may cause falsely increased serum thyroxine levels.
Do not alter the dose of Tamoxifen Citrate medicine without consulting your doctor. A change in the dose of the medicine may increase the risk of side effects.4.How should Tamoxifen Citrate be stored?
Store Tamoxifen Citrate medicine in a cool and dry place. Do not refrigerate or freeze the medicine.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.