What is Varenicline used for?
Varenicline helps smokers to quit smoking. It is often used along with behavioural therapy.
Varenicline may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Varenicline work?
Varenicline belongs to the class of drugs called smoking cessation agents. This drug acts by blocking the action of nicotine from binding to and activating specific receptors. This results in decreased cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
How to take Varenicline?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Varenicline as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug after eating food.
If you miss a dose of Varenicline, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with Varenicline?
Drugs that interact with Varenicline include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Varenicline?
The following are the most common side effects of Varenicline:
- Abdominal pain
- Trouble sleeping
- Unusual sweating
- Dry mouth
- Lack of energy
- Changes in appetite
- Muscle pain
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Shortness of breath
- Stomach upset
- Tightness in chest
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual hoarseness
- Swelling of face, mouth or throat
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Varenicline?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Varenicline or similar drugs.
- Limit the use of alcoholic beverages as it may worsen the side effects of Varenicline medication.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Varenicline.
- Inform the doctor if you are unable to quit smoking even after taking
- Notify the doctor if you experience agitation, depressed mood or changes in behaviour while taking Varenicline.
You are advised not to take Varenicline if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Varenicline?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of kidney disease, mental disorders, heart disease or seizures.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
Frequently asked questions about Varenicline
- Is it safe to increase the dose of Varenicline medication?
- How should Varenicline medication be stored?
- Is it safe to take Varenicline while using medication for asthma?
- How long can I take Varenicline medication?
No. It is not advised to alter the dose of Varenicline medicine as it can increase the risk of side effects. Please consult your doctor.
Varenicline medication should be stored at room temperature, away from heat and excess moisture. Keep the medication out of the reach of children.
Consult your doctor before taking Varenicline medication if you are using any medication for asthma.
Varenicline medication should be taken as prescribed by your doctor. It is usually prescribed for 12 weeks.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.