- Lab Tests
- Health Corner
CEFUTIC 500 TABLET contains Cefuroxime which belongs to the group of medicines called Antibiotics. It is used to treat serious bacterial infections such as middle ear infections (media otitis), throat infections (pharyngitis and tonsilitis), sinus (acute sinusitis), chest and lung infections (bronchitis and pneumonia), urinary tract infections, and serious skin infections (Ex. furuncles). CEFUTIC 500 TABLET is also used to treat Lyme disease (an infection caused by the parasite called ticks).
Patients with a history of cephalosporin-associated haemolytic anaemia are not recommended to take CEFUTIC 500 TABLET. Prolonged treatment with CEFUTIC 500 TABLET can alter digestive flora, this could cause Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhoea.
Inform your doctor if you are giving blood samples for screening, before taking CEFUTIC 500 TABLET, as it could cause a change in the results. Your doctor will prescribe the right dose depends on your child’s age, body weight and disease condition.
Before taking CEFUTIC 500 TABLET inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women. The most common side effects of taking this medicine are headache, dizziness, diarrhoea and feeling sick. Consult your doctor immediately if any of the above symptoms worsen.
Used to treat:
CEFUTIC 500 TABLET contains cefuroxime which is a second-generation cephalosporin that interferes with the synthesis of the bacterial cell wall by binding to specific binding proteins located inside the bacterial cell wall. This leads to breaking down the cell wall of the bacteria and reducing its stability, thus causing cell damage, and eventually causing bacterial elimination.
Take CEFUTIC 500 TABLET as advised by your physician. Your doctor will decide the correct dose and duration for you depending upon your age, body weight and severity of infection.
Stop taking CEFUTIC 500 TABLET and consult your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following side effects
Keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots of fluids, such as water or fruit juices. Avoid taking any medicine on your own for treating diarrhoea. Consult your doctor if diarrhoea is persistent.
Rest and relax. Drink plenty of fluids and apply a pain-relieving medicine/balm on the head if needed. Do not consume too much alcohol. Contact your doctor if you experience headache for long.
Try to rest and relax. Get enough sleep. Try avoiding driving a car or bicycle or operating any tools or machines while you are feeling dizzy. Do not consume too much of alcohol, as it can aggravate your dizziness. Consult your doctor if the dizziness is prolonged for a long time.
Try to rest and relax. Consume food which are non-greasy and oily or try to have smaller and frequent meals. Keep a heating pad on your stomach. If the symptom does not improve with time. Contact your doctor immediately.
There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women and should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed. Hence consult your doctor before taking CEFUTIC 500 TABLET.
CEFUTIC 500 TABLET is generally not recommended for breastfeeding mothers, as it may pass through the breast milk to the baby. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Do not drive or operate any machines if you feel dizzy after taking CEFUTIC 500 TABLET.
CEFUTIC 500 TABLET should be used with caution in patients with history of kidney problems and if needed dosage will be adjusted accordingly. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
Do not take CEFUTIC 500 TABLET if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to Cefuroxime, cephalosporin, penicillin, monobactams, carbapenems or to any other ingredients of this medicine.
CEFUTIC 500 TABLET is not recommended for use if you:
Before taking CEFUTIC 500 TABLET, inform your doctor if you are:
Use in pediatrics:
Your doctor will prescribe the right dose depends on your child’s age, body weight and disease condition. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
Use in geriatrics:
CEFUTIC 500 TABLET should be used with caution in elderly especially patients with renal impairment. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
A. Drug-Drug interactions:
Before taking CEFUTIC 500 TABLET, inform your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicine:
If you or anyone else accidentally took too much of this medicine, consult your doctor immediately. Symptoms are neurological disorders such as seizures (fits).
|Pharmacological Category||:|| |
|Therapeutic Indication||:|| |
Treats Bacterial infections
|Dosage Forms||:|| |
Tablet, Injection, Capsule, Syrup, Dry Suspension, Drops, Dispersible tablet
What is CEFUTIC 500 TABLET used for?
CEFUTIC 500 TABLET contains cefuroxime, which is used to treat lower, upper respiratory tract infection, urinary tract infection, gynaecological infection, skin or soft tissue infection.
Is CEFUTIC 500 TABLET same as penicillin?
No, CEFUTIC 500 TABLET belongs to the second-generation class of cephalosporins, it is active against numerous gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, including several with resistance to other antibiotics such as penicillin. Consult your doctor before taking CEFUTIC 500 TABLET.
If I start feeling well, can I skip the dose of CEFUTIC 500 TABLET?
No. You should complete the full course of CEFUTIC 500 TABLET as prescribed by your doctor. It is important that CEFUTIC 500 TABLET be taken at the right dose and for the right duration given. Otherwise, the symptoms can prevail and sometimes worsen. Consult your doctor before taking the medicine.
What will happen if I accidentally take overdosage of CEFUTIC 500 TABLET?
If you have accidentally overdosed on CEFUTIC 500 TABLET, you may suffer from a neurologic disorder, such as seizures (fits). Consult a doctor immediately and go to the nearby hospital.
Will CEFUTIC 500 TABLET affect the contraceptive pill that is taken?
Yes. CEFUTIC 500 TABLET may interact with birth control pills and lowers its efficiency. So, you should tell your doctor if you are using any birth control pills. Your doctor could suggest an alternative contraceptive barrier to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
In what condition CEFUTIC 500 TABLET should be avoided?
CEFUTIC 500 TABLET should not be taken if you have a history of serious anaphylactic reaction to cefuroxime or any other cephalosporin antibiotics or if you have a history of cephalosporin-induced haemolytic anaemia. Consult your doctor before taking CEFUTIC 500 TABLET.
1. KD Tripathi. Second-generation cephalosporins. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology. Eighth edition. Page - 777.
2. Cefuroxime. PubChem. National Centre for Biotechnology Information. [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Cephuroxime#section=2D-Structure
3. Brogden, R.N., Heel, R.C., Speight, T.M. et al. Cefuroxime: A Review of its Antibacterial Activity, Pharmacological Properties and Therapeutic Use. Drugs. [Revised in November 2012] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://link.springer.com/article/10.2165/00003495-197917040-00001#citeas
4. Glaxo Operations UK Ltd. Electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC). [Revised in November 2019] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.3810.pdf
5. Sandoz Limited. Electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC) [Revised in December 2020] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/426/smpc#gref
6. TEVA UK Ltd. Health Products Regulatory Authority. [Revised in June 2013] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] http://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swedocuments/2126276.PA0749_082_002.8f76380d-ac29-402f-b6d0-af2d021bdf05.000001PIL.130628.pdf
7. Auro Pharma Inc. [Revised in January 2021] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] http://www.auropharma.ca/products/monograph/Auro-Cefuroxime-PM.pd
8. Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. [Revised in October 2008] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=5b6288fa-49da-4f44-b779-86e8404921db
9. Blenheim Pharmacal, Inc. [Revised in June 2010] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=16a686e6-63f4-478f-a673-02dde9474eda
10. GlaxoSmithKline. [Revised in January 2007] [Accessed on 7th September 2022] https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2007/050605s042lbl.pdf
Additional Discount on this product
Please get a call back from our expert
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.