What is Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination used for?
Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination capsule/syrup/tablet is used for the treatment of low blood calcium levels in conditions, such as:
- Osteoporosis (bone loss)
- Osteomalacia/rickets (weak bones)
- Latent tetany (muscle disease)
Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination work?
In Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination, Calcium is used as a supplement. It acts by regulating the uptake and binding of amino acids. It also acts by maintaining the calcium balance in the body.
Cholecalciferol used as a vitamin supplement. It acts by increasing the intestinal absorption of calcium by binding to certain receptors. Thus, it helps in increasing serum calcium levels.
How to take Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination capsule/syrup/tablet as prescribed by your doctor.
- Chew the tablet before swallowing it.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush or chew the capsule.
- Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
- In case of syrup , shake the suspension well before taking each dose so as to ensure the uniform mixing of the drug.
- Use a measuring cup while taking each dose.
If you miss a dose of Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination, please take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What are the drugs that interact with Calcium + Cholecalciferol?
Drugs that interact with Calcium + Cholecalciferol include the following:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Calcium + Cholecalciferol?
The following are the most common side effects of Calcium + Cholecalciferol:
- Stomach upset
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Swelling of the face, tongue, and throat
- Severe dizziness
- Irregular heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
- Increased thirst
- Unusual tiredness
- Mood changes
- Increased urination
- Muscle pain
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Calcium + Cholecalciferol?
- Avoid taking the medicine if you are allergic to Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination or similar drugs.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of Calcium + Cholecalciferol
- Be cautious while taking Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination if you are suffering from hypercalcemia (increased levels of calcium in the blood), diabetes or phenylketonuria.
You are advised not to take Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination?
- Tell your doctor if you have any medical history of kidney diseases, liver diseases, immune system disorders, heart/blood vessel diseases or bowel diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
Frequently Asked Questions about Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination
- How should Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination be stored?
- Can I take Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination while on doxycycline medication?
- Do I need to follow any dietary restrictions while taking Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination medicine?
- Is it safe to take Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination while breastfeeding?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while taking Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination?
Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination should be stored at room temperature away from heat, sunlight, and moisture.
It is not advisable to take Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination along with doxycycline as calcium interferes with the drug absorption.
Avoid consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice while taking Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination medication.
Consult your doctor before taking Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination during breastfeeding, as it known to pass through the breast milk.
Yes, it is advised to monitor serum calcium levels and bilirubin levels while taking Calcium + Cholecalciferol combination.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.