- Lab Tests
- Health Corner
AQUEOUS EYE DROPS contains Carboxymethylcellulose, which belongs to the group of medicines called Topical ophthalmic lubricants. It is used to treat dryness of the eye due to exposure to wind or sun and following a laser or cataract eye surgery. It is also used to protect the eyes from further irritation. The symptoms may include discomfort, irritation, burning and foreign body sensation in the eye etc.
Before using AQUEOUS EYE DROPS inform your doctor if you wear contact lenses as it is not recommended for use while using this medicine. The associated risks and benefits of using AQUEOUS EYE DROPS in children, pregnant and breastfeeding women are unclear.
The most common side effects of AQUEOUS EYE DROPS include stinging, burning, irritation or itching sensation of the eye, blurring of vision, etc. Consult your doctor immediately or visit a nearby hospital if any of the symptoms worsen.
AQUEOUS EYE DROPS is used to treat allergic and inflammatory conditions of the eye such as
AQUEOUS EYE DROPS works as a lubricant and moisturizer that maintains the water balance of the eye similar to natural tears. As a result, it relieves the symptoms of eye dryness.
Always use AQUEOUS EYE DROPS as advised by your doctor. It is for ophthalmic use only. Instill a few drops of the medicine into the eye as advised by your doctor.
Stop taking AQUEOUS EYE DROPS and contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following side effects:
Apply a cold compress to the affected area. A cool compress applied to your closed eyes several times a day will help lessen redness and swelling.
AQUEOUS EYE DROPS should be used with caution in pregnant women. Consult your doctor before taking AQUEOUS EYE DROPS.
AQUEOUS EYE DROPS should be used with caution in breastfeeding mothers. Consult your doctor before taking AQUEOUS EYE DROPS.
Do not drive or operate a machine if you feel blurring of vision while using AQUEOUS EYE DROPS.
Do not take AQUEOUS EYE DROPS if you are allergic to Carboxymethylcellulose.
Before taking AQUEOUS EYE DROPS, inform your physician if you:
Use in paediatrics:
The risks and benefits of using AQUEOUS EYE DROPS in children are unclear. Consult your doctor for advice.
Use in geriatrics:
The risks and benefits of using AQUEOUS EYE DROPS in the elderly are unclear. Consult your doctor for advice.
A. Drug-Drug interactions:
Inform your doctor if you're using any medicine, or herbs before taking AQUEOUS EYE DROPS.
If you or anyone else accidentally take too much of AQUEOUS EYE DROPS, consult your doctor immediately or visit the nearby hospital if the symptoms worsen.
|Pharmacological Category||:||Topical ophthalmic eye lubricant and moisturizer|
|Therapeutic Indication||:||To treat eye dryness|
|Dosage Forms||:||Eye drops|
How long should I take AQUEOUS EYE DROPS?
Your doctor will decide the dose, duration and frequency of AQUEOUS EYE DROPS for use depending upon your age, body weight and severity of your disease condition. Consult your doctor for advice to use AQUEOUS EYE DROPS.
Can I drive after taking [GBBNKEYWORD]?
If you experience blurred or impaired vision after taking AQUEOUS EYE DROPS, do not drive or operate any machinery. Consult your doctor for advice.
How often AQUEOUS EYE DROPS can be used?
AQUEOUS EYE DROPS is used to treat the dryness of the eye. Consult your doctor for advice to use this medicine. Your doctor will decide the frequency and duration of using this medicine based on your existing condition.
What are the side effects caused due to prolonged use of [GBNKKEYWORD]?
The side effects of AQUEOUS EYE DROPS include irritation, stinging or burning sensation of the eye, blurring of vision etc. If the symptoms worsen contact your doctor immediately.
Is AQUEOUS EYE DROPS safe for use in patients with cataracts?
AQUEOUS EYE DROPS is recommended for use to treat dryness of the eye following eye surgery such as LASIK and cataract surgery in the eye. However, consult your doctor for advice before use.
Can AQUEOUS EYE DROPS be used while wearing contact lenses?
No. Do not wear contact lenses while using AQUEOUS EYE DROPS. Consult your doctor for advice as it’s not recommended to wear while using AQUEOUS EYE DROPS.
Is AQUEOUS EYE DROPS safe for use during pregnancy?
The associated risks and benefits of using AQUEOUS EYE DROPS in pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers are unclear. However, no precaution measures are advised for using AQUEOUS EYE DROPS in pregnant women. Consult your doctor for advice.
1. KD Tripathi. Drugs Acting on Skin and Mucous Membranes. Essentials of medical pharmacology. 8th edition. 2019. Page – 946.
2. M Labetoulle, F Chiambaretta, A Shirlaw, R Leaback, and C Baudouin. NIH National Library of Medicine, National center for biotechnology information. Osmoprotectants, carboxymethylcellulose and hyaluronic acid multi-ingredient eye drop: a randomised controlled trial in moderate to severe dry eye. [Revised in April 2017] [Accessed on 5th July 2022] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5639191/
3. Ke Yao, Yongzhen Bao, Jian Ye, Yi Lu, Hongsheng Bi, Xin Tang, Yune Zhao, Jinsong Zhang, and Jinling Yang. NIH National Library of Medicine, National center for biotechnology information. Efficacy of 1% carboxymethylcellulose sodium for treating dry eye after phacoemulsification: results from a multicenter, open-label, randomized, controlled study. [Revised in March 2015] [Accessed on 5th July 2022] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4407782/
4. AvPAK. NIH National Library of Medicine, Dailymed. Carboxymethylcellulose sodium solution/ drops. [Revised in March 2021] [Accessed on 5th July 2022] https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fda/fdaDrugXsl.cfm?setid=b478a695-ded0-2e5f-e053-2995a90ac45e&type=display
5. Cipla med. Flogel Eye Drops, Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose 1.0%. [Revised in November 2020] [Accessed on 5th July 2022] https://www.ciplamed.com/content/flogel-eye-drops
6. Centaur Pharmaceuticals. Relub DS, carboxymethyl cellulose 1 %. [Revised in January 2022] [Accessed on 5th July 2022] https://www.centaurpharma.com/downloads/Relub%20LC.pdf
Written By Dr. Dhivakaran R, BDS
Last updated on 13 Oct 2022 | 10:20 AM(IST)
Additional Discount on this product
Please get a call back from our expert
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.