ANGISTAT 6.5mg CAPSULE 25's
What is Glyceryl Trinitrate used for?
Glyceryl Trinitrate is an organic nitrate medicine, which is used for the prevention of angina. It is also used for the treatment of the following conditions:
- Acute decompensated heart failure (ADHF)
- Chronic anal fissures
Glyceryl Trinitrate may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does Glyceryl Trinitrate work?
Glyceryl Trinitrate belongs to the class of drugs called nitrate vasodilators, which works by releasing nitric oxide. Release of nitric oxide activates certain enzymes that help in relaxing the vascular smooth muscles and improving the blood flow.
How to use Glyceryl Trinitrate?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual.
Glyceryl Trinitrate medicine is available as capsule, injection, ointment, patch and tablet.
- Swallow the tablet/capsule whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet/capsule. Glyceryl Trinitrate tablet/capsule should be taken on an empty stomach or at least 1 to 2 hours before a meal.
- Glyceryl Trinitrate injection should be administered only under medical supervision.
- Apply Glyceryl Trinitrate ointment as a thin layer over the affected area.
- Use Glyceryl Trinitrate patch on a dry and clean skin.
What are the drugs that interact with Glyceryl Trinitrate?
Drugs that interact with Glyceryl Trinitrate include the following:
- Isosorbide Dinitrate
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Glyceryl Trinitrate?
The following are the most common side effects of Glyceryl Trinitrate:
- Decreased blood pressure
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Loss of consciousness
- Increased heartbeat
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions Glyceryl Trinitrate?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to Glyceryl Trinitrate or similar drugs.
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Glyceryl Trinitrate.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may worsen the side effects of Glyceryl Trinitrate.
- Do not exceed the dose more than what is prescribed.
- Be cautious while using Glyceryl Trinitrate if you have any kidney impairment.
What should you tell your doctor before using Glyceryl Trinitrate?
- Inform the doctor if you have a history of kidney or liver problem, severe low blood pressure, migraine or anaemia.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
Frequently Asked Questions about Glyceryl Trinitrate:
- Is it safe to use Glyceryl Trinitrate in my 10-year-old child?
- How should Glyceryl Trinitrate be stored?
- What are the other formulations available for Glyceryl Trinitrate?
- Do I need to be monitored for any laboratory parameters while using Glyceryl Trinitrate?
- Is it safe to alter the dose of Glyceryl Trinitrate?
No. Glyceryl Trinitrate medicine should not be used in children below 18 years of age.
Store the drug at room temperature and avoid exposure to sunlight and moisture.
Glyceryl Trinitrate medicine is available as capsule, ointment, injection, patch and tablet.
Yes. Functioning of the heart should be monitored while using Glyceryl Trinitrate medicine.
No. Do not alter the dose of Glyceryl Trinitrate medicine. Consult your doctor if you have any problem with the dose.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.