AMTAS HT Tablet 10's
By Intas Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd Prescription Needed
- Cashback validity: 100 days
What is Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide used for?
Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide is used in the treatment of hypertension (high blood pressure)
Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
How does Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide work?
- Amlodipine Besylate belongs to a group of medicines known as calcium channel blockers. Amlodipine Besylate prevents the calcium from moving into the blood vessel wall thereby preventing tightening of blood vessel walls. This reduces the blood pressure and improves symptoms of chest pain.
- Hydrochlorothiazide belongs to group of medicines called thiazide diuretics also known as “water tablets”. It removes excess fluid by making the kidney produce more urine, thereby reducing the blood pressure.
Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide act additively to reduce the blood pressure.
How to take Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide ?
- The dosage of oral tablets of Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide depends on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide as prescribed by your doctor.
- You must swallow the tablet with a glass of water. Do not chew the tablet.
- Take your daily dose at same time (preferably at breakfast).
- Do not take the tablet with grapefruit juice (it can lead to increase in amlodipine concentration which would increase the lowering of the blood pressure).
- Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide is not recommended for children and adolescent under 18 years of age.
- Do not discontinue the medication without consulting a doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What should you do when you have taken an overdose of Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide?
If you have taken an overdose of Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide, please contact your doctor immediately.
Symptoms of overdose of Amlodipine may include the following:
- Light headedness
- Fainting, weakness
- Cool and clammy skin
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Loss of consciousness
Symptoms of overdose of Hydrochlorothiazide may include the following:
- Diarrhoea or constipation, abdominal pain
- Dizziness, fainting
- Electrolyte imbalance (hypokalaemia (low levels of potassium in blood), hypochloraemia (low levels of chloride ions in blood, hyponatremia (low levels of sodium in the blood)
What are the drugs that interact with Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide?
Drugs that interact with Amlodipine Besylate:
- Cyclosporin, Tacrolimus
- Diltiazem, Verapamil
- Ketoconazole, Itraconazole
- Rifampicin, Erythromycin, Clarithromycin
- Ritonavir, Indinavir, Nelfinavir
- St John's wort
Drugs that interact with Hydrochlorothiazide:
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics
- Atropine, Biperiden
- Cholestyramine, Colespitol
- Cytotoxic drugs
- Insulin, Oral anti-diabetic drugs
- Narcotic drugs
- NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide?
Most common side effects of Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide are:
- Weakness, pain, fatigue, malaise
- Headache, dizziness, vertigo, nervousness, depression
- Increased muscle tone, decreased sensations
- Low blood pressure, fainting, palpitation, irregular rhythm, increased heart rate, chest pain, heart attack
- Dry mouth, thirst, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea or constipation, passing of gas, weight changes
- Increased sweating, skin discolouration
- Muscle cramps, back pain, pain in joints
- Abnormal vision
Please contact your physician immediately if you have
- allergic reactions (swelling of the face, mouth, larynx (voice box), itching and rash);
- severe light-headedness or fainting;
- angioneurotic oedema (red, burning, itching areas on skin near eyes, lips, hands, feet and inside of throat, hoarseness of voice, difficulty in breathing);
- low levels of serum potassium;
- severe skin allergies such as blisters on skin, mouth, lips, eyes and genitals (commonly called Steven Johnsons syndrome).
This is not a comprehensive list of side effects. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide?
Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide.
You are advised not to take Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide?
Tell your doctor if
- you are allergic to Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide or to any ingredients of this medicine.
- you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- you have low levels of potassium in blood.
- you have had hypersensitivity reaction to hydrochlorothiazide before.
- you have diabetes.
- You have a previous history of angioedema.
- you are under dialysis.
- you have renal artery stenosis (narrowed blood vessel in kidney) or have had a kidney transplant.
- you have liver disease.
- you have systemic lupus erythematosus (an autoimmune disease).
- you are planning a surgery or any procedure.
- you are pregnant or trying to conceive or are breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked Questions about Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide
Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide should be stored below 30°C. Keep the medicine away from sunlight and do not freeze the medicine. Keep the medicine out of reach from children.
Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide causes drowsiness, dizziness and headache in some individuals. Avoid driving if you are taking Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide.
Do not take grapefruit or grapefruit juice while on Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide. Apart from this, there are no dietary restrictions if you are taking Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide.
No, it is not advisable to consume alcohol while on Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide as it can make you dizzy, sleepy or tired.
No, Amlodipine Besylate + Hydrochlorothiazide is not addictive. But do not take it without consulting your doctor.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.