|Available substitute||3 substitute/s available|
Rs.1,450.00 (2% Savings)
Please note, before you can choose the low cost generic option, please ask your doctor to add the generic drug to your prescription.
What is Ambrisentan used for?
Ambrisentan is used alone and in combination for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) in adults. PAH high blood pressure in the pulmonary arteries (blood vessels which carry blood from heart to lungs).
Ambrisentan may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
How does Ambrisentan work?
Ambrisentan belongs to a group of medicines called antihypertensives. In people with PAH, the pulmonary arteries get narrower, so the heart must work harder to pump blood to them, resulting in increased arterial pressure. Ambrisentan widens the pulmonary arteries, thereby making it easier for the heart to pump blood through them, thereby decreasing the blood pressure and relieving the symptoms.
How to take Ambrisentan?
- The dosage of Ambrisentan tablet depends on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Ambrisentan as prescribed by your doctor.
- Ambrisentan tablet comes in special packing to prevent children from removing them.
- Ambrisentan should be taken with or without food. Do not chew the tablet.
- Take the tablet at the same time, each day.
- Swallow the tablet with a glass of water.
- Ambrisentan is not recommended in children under 18 years of age.
- Do not discontinue Ambrisentan without consulting a doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Ambrisentan, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What should you do when you have taken an overdose of Ambrisentan?
If you have taken an overdose of Ambrisentan, please contact your doctor immediately.
Symptoms of overdose may include the following:
- Nasal congestion
What are the drugs that interact with Ambrisentan?
Drugs that interact with Ambrisentan:
- Cyclosporin A
- Iloprost, Epoprostenol, Sildenafil
- Oral contraceptives
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Ambrisentan?
Most common side effects of Ambrisentan are:
- Irregular heart beat
- Shortness of breath
- Blocked or running nose
- Pain in sinuses
Please stop your tablets and contact your physician immediately if you have
- allergic reactions (skin rash, hives, itching, swelling of face, mouth, tongue, lips, shortness of breath, swelling, collapse);
- low blood sodium levels;
- swelling (oedema) of ankles and feet;
- shortness of breath, chest pain, tiredness (symptoms of heart failure);
- anaemia (reduced number of red blood cells presenting with weakness, extreme tiredness, shortness of breath, swelling of ankle and legs);
- hypotension (low blood pressure;
- liver dysfunction (nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, pain abdomen, yellowing of skin or whites of eyes, dark coloured urine, itching of skin).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Ambrisentan?
Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Ambrisentan.
You are advised not to take Ambrisentan if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
- you are allergic to soya, as Ambrisentan tablets contain soya.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Ambrisentan?
Tell your doctor if
- you are allergic to Ambrisentan, soya or other medicine from the same class.
- you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- you have liver disease.
- you have scarring of lungs (idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis).
- you have anaemia (decreased red blood cells).
- you have swelling in hands, ankle or feet caused by fluid (peripheral oedema).
you have pulmonary veno-occlusive disease (lung disease where there is blockage in veins in the lungs).
Frequently asked questions about Ambrisentan
Ambrisentan capsules and tablets does not require any special storage conditions. Keep the medicine away from sunlight and out of the sight and reach of children.
No, you can have your normal diet unless advised by your doctor.
Ambrisentan causes low blood pressure, blurring of vision and dizziness. It is advisable not to drive while taking Ambrisentan.
No, you are not advised to drink alcohol while taking Ambrisentan, as the medicine can increase the effect of alcohol.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.