What is Amantadine Hydrochloride used for?
Amantadine Hydrochloride is used for the prevention and treatment of:
- Signs and symptoms of infection caused by Influenza A virus;
- Parkinsonism (improves muscle control and reduces stiffness, shaking and shuffling);
- Drug-induced extrapyramidal reactions;
- Herpes zoster (to reduce pain).
Amantadine Hydrochloride may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
How does Amantadine Hydrochloride work?
Amantadine Hydrochloride is a first-generation influenza, antiviral agent.
- Amantadine Hydrochloride acts by inhibiting the progression of the influenza virus life cycle.
- Amantadine Hydrochloride also increases the levels of certain chemicals (dopamine) which help in transmitting impulses in the nervous system.
How to take Amantadine Hydrochloride?
- The dosage of oral tablet and capsule of Amantadine Hydrochloride depends on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take Amantadine Hydrochloride as prescribed by your doctor.
- Amantadine Hydrochloride should be taken with or without food. Do not chew the tablet.
- Swallow the tablet with a glass of water.
- Do not discontinue Amantadine Hydrochloride without consulting a doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Amantadine Hydrochloride, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
What should you do when you have taken an overdose of Amantadine Hydrochloride?
If you have taken an overdose of Amantadine Hydrochloride, please contact your doctor immediately.
Symptoms of overdose may include the following:
- Severe headache
- Confusion, hallucinations, agitation, aggression
- Personality change
- Enuresis (minimal or absent urination)
- Breathing difficulty
- Imbalance, walking fast
- Uneven heart rate
What are the drugs that interact with Amantadine Hydrochloride?
Drugs that interact with Amantadine Hydrochloride:
- Chlorpromazine, Haloperidol
- Hydrochlorothiazide, Amiloride, Triamterene
- Sulfamethoxazole, Trimethoprim
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of Amantadine Hydrochloride?
Most common side effects of Amantadine Hydrochloride are:
- Constipation or diarrhoea
- Nausea, loss of appetite
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Dry mouth
Please stop your tablets and contact your physician immediately if you have
- allergic reactions (skin rash, hives, itching, swelling of face, mouth, tongue, lips);
- low body temperature (below 35°C) especially in children;
- breathing problem;
- change in vision;
- mood change;
- fainting or light- headedness;
- fever, hallucination, mouth sores;
- swelling of hands and feet, unusual stiffness, tremors.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking Amantadine Hydrochloride?
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on Amantadine Hydrochloride.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking anti-psychotics with Amantadine Hydrochloride, as you may develop fever, sweating, muscle stiffness, rapid heartbeat, loss of bladder control.
You are advised not to take Amantadine Hydrochloride if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking Amantadine Hydrochloride?
Tell your doctor if
- you are allergic to Amantadine Hydrochloride or other medicine from the same class.
- you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- you have liver or kidney disease.
- you have a history of heart disease.
- you have any mental illness.
- you have glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye).
- you have eczema.
- you are at risk of heart disease or
- you have diabetes.
- you are planning a surgery or any procedure.
- you are pregnant or trying to conceive or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions about Amantadine Hydrochloride
Amantadine Hydrochloride capsules and tablets should be stored between 25°C to 30°C. Keep the medicine away from sunlight and out of the sight and reach of children.
No, you can have your normal diet unless advised by your doctor.
Amantadine Hydrochloride causes blurring of vision and dizziness. It is advisable not to drive while taking Amantadine Hydrochloride.
No, you are not advised to drink alcohol while taking Amantadine Hydrochloride, as the medicine can increase the effect of alcohol.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.