What is ALTRIS Gel used for?
ALTRIS Gel is used to treat general insomnia and jet lag. It is also used to adjust sleep-wake cycle in people with shift-work disorder and help blind people to establish a day and night cycle.
ALTRIS Gel may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does ALTRIS Gel work?
ALTRIS Gel belongs to the class of drugs called hormonal agents. Low levels of melatonin hormone in the body may cause trouble sleeping. ALTRIS Gel supplement acts by transferring signals to the melatonin receptor agonist in the brain and other parts of the body to control and maintain sleep-wake cycles.
How to take ALTRIS Gel?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take ALTRIS Gel as prescribed by your doctor.
Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet. Take the drug with or without food. However, taking the drug with food prevents stomach upset.
Use of ALTRIS Gel for Jet Lag:
- If you are traveling towards the east, you must take ALTRIS Gel after dark and 30 minutes before bed time. Then, you must continue this for at least 4 nights in the new time zone.
- If you are traveling towards the west, a dose is not required for the first traveling night. You must take the drug 30 minutes before bed time for the next 4 nights.
The overdose symptoms of ALTRIS Gel may include:
- Vivid dreams at night
- Irritability or anxiety
- Joint pain
What are the drugs that interact with ALTRIS Gel?
Drugs that interact with ALTRIS Gel include the following:
- Ethinyl Estradiol
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of ALTRIS Gel?
The following are the most common side effects of ALTRIS Gel:
- Daytime drowsiness
- Stomach pain
The following are the severe side effects, and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Joint pain
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking ALTRIS Gel?
- Avoid using the medicine if you are allergic to ALTRIS Gel or similar drugs.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol as it may alter the absorption of
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if ALTRIS Gel causes dizziness or blurred vision.
- Seek doctor’s advice before taking any other drug or herbal products while on
- Keep the medication out of reach of children.
You are advised not to take ALTRIS Gel if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking ALTRIS Gel?
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of kidney, liver or heart diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Notify your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently Asked questions about ALTRIS Gel
- Is it safe to use ALTRIS Gel in patients with depression?
- I am on steroid therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. Can I take ALTRIS Gel?
- Should I follow any dietary restrictions while taking ALTRIS Gel?
- What is the recommended dose of ALTRIS Gel for treating jet lag?
No. It is not safe to use ALTRIS Gel in patients with depression.
No. Do not take ALTRIS Gel while using corticosteroids, as this combination may cause complications.
Avoid caffeinated foods such as coffee and tea while taking ALTRIS Gel.
The recommended dose of ALTRIS Gel for treating jet lag is 0.1 to 8 milligrams. However, please consult your doctor for dose-related queries.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.