What is ALKASTON B6 Syrup used for?
ALKASTON B6 Syrup is used to treat or prevent kidney stones. It is also used to maintain the optimal level of salt balance and promote kidney health.
ALKASTON B6 Syrup may also be prescribed for other conditions as determined by the doctor.
How does ALKASTON B6 Syrup work?
In ALKASTON B6 Syrup, Magnesium Citrate belongs to a class of drugs called laxatives. This drug inhibits the formation of crystals in the urine by increasing the fluid level in the small intestine. Thus, it helps in easy bowel movements.
Potassium Citrate belongs to a class of drugs called alkalinizing agents. It works by crystallizing stone-forming salts such as calcium oxalate, calcium phosphate, and uric acid by raising the levels of urinary pH and citrate.
How to take ALKASTON B6 Syrup?
The dosage and the drug form depend on the age, weight and medical condition of an individual. Take ALKASTON B6 Syrup as prescribed by your doctor.
Mix the ALKASTON B6 Syrup in a glass of water and stir it well. Take this medicine after your meals.
If you miss a dose of ALKASTON B6 Syrup, please take it immediately once you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The overdose symptoms of ALKASTON B6 Syrup may include:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Severe abdominal pain
- Muscle weakness
What are the drugs that interact with ALKASTON B6 Syrup?
Drugs that interact with ALKASTON B6 Syrup are:
This is not a comprehensive list of drug interactions. Consult your doctor to know more about other possible drug interactions.
What are the side effects of ALKASTON B6 Syrup?
The following are the most common side effects of ALKASTON B6 Syrup:
- Stomach upset
- Muscle weakness
- Abdominal discomfort
The following are the severe side effects and you may require immediate medical attention:
- Chest pain
- Bloody stools
- Rectal bleeding
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Please consult your doctor to know more about other possible side effects.
What special precautions should be followed while taking ALKASTON B6 Syrup?
- Avoid consumption of alcohol while on ALKASTON B6 Syrup as it may cause excessive drowsiness or dizziness.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery if the ALKASTON B6 Syrup cause dizziness or blurred vision.
- Avoid ALKASTON B6 Syrup in case of allergic reactions.
- Avoid ALKASTON B6 Syrup during pregnancy as it may affect the growing foetus.
You are advised not to take ALKASTON B6 Syrup if
- it has passed the expiry date of the medicine printed on the pack.
- the foil or packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering or there is discolouration.
What should you tell your doctor before taking ALKASTON B6 Syrup?
- Inform your doctor if you have any pre-existing liver, gastric or heart diseases.
- Inform the doctor if you are taking any other drugs, OTC medications, herbal products or nutritional supplements.
- Inform the doctor if you have any hypersensitivity to any of the drugs in ALKASTON B6 Syrup
Frequently Asked questions about ALKASTON B6 Syrup
- Can I use ALKASTON B6 Syrup if I am suffering from hyperkalaemia (increased potassium levels)?
- Can I stop taking ALKASTON B6 Syrup if the symptoms subside?
- How should ALKASTON B6 Syrup be stored?
No, avoid taking ALKASTON B6 Syrup if you have a history of high blood potassium levels. However, consult your doctor before using the drug.
No. It is important to complete the prescribed dose of ALKASTON B6 Syrup.
Store the drug in a dry place at room temperature (15 – 30°C). Keep it away from direct sunlight.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.