Why The Mediterranean Diet Is Perfect For Indians Too
What is a Mediterranean diet?
The Mediterranean diet is a perfect way to replace the saturated fats in the average American diet. It consists of foods from several countries and regions including Spain, Greece, and Italy. The diet stresses on natural sources of fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains and lean meats. The diet is linked to good heart health, prevents diseases such as stroke, and diabetes.
The research behind the Mediterranean diet
Researchers carried a four-year study over 11,000 university students, assessed their dietary pattern. Mediterranean foods such as fruit, fish, nuts, cereals, and vegetables were positively valued, while meat, alcohol, and dairy products were negatively valued. A questionnaire measured the student’s quality of life after four years of evaluating their dietary habits.
Researchers revealed that subjects who followed the Mediterranean diet had better mental health and physical wellness, and better quality of life. And because of the ingredients used, like fresh fruit, veggies and whole grains, this is a great diet for Indians to follow too.
The Key Components of Mediterranean Diet
- Go for vegetables such as tomatoes, kale, broccoli, spinach, carrots, cucumbers, and onions.
- Add fresh fruit such as apples, bananas, fig, dates, grapes, and melons.
- Include plenty of legumes, beans, nuts, and seeds such as almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds and cashews.
- Include whole grains such as whole wheat, oats, barley, buckwheat, corn, and brown rice.
- The main source of dietary fat is olive oil, along with olives, avocados and avocado oil.
- The main source of dairy foods includes cheese and yoghurt.
- Moderate amounts of fish (salmon, sardines and oysters) and poultry (chicken, duck, turkey).
- Eggs including -chicken, quail, and duck eggs.
- Limited amount of red meats.
- Limit salt usage and use herbs and spices to boost the flavour.
- Water is the main beverage of choice and completely avoid carbonated and sweet drinks, red wine can be included in moderate amount.
- Stay active and get on the move involve in moderate intensity exercise regularly.
Benefits of Mediterranean Diet
- Low in processed food and sugar.
- Helps to lose weight in a healthy way
- Improves heart health
- Helps Fight Cancer
- Prevents Diabetes
- Protects the cognitive health and improve mood
- Helps you de-stress and relax.
The Mediterranean diet is incredibly healthy and satisfying.