Water plays an essential role in our lives. Most of us do not realize the importance of water in our overall health. Just like a plant that wilts without water in just a day, so does the human body.
Water is not only the perfect thirst-quencher but has numerous health benefits for your body and vital organs. These include:
- Prevents dehydration.
- Regulates body temperature.
- Transport nutrients and oxygen to the cells.
- Moisturizes the skin and other tissues.
- Wards off constipation.
- Cushions joints.
- Promotes muscle strength.
- Removes toxins and waste
- Promotes weight loss by boosting the metabolism
Facts about drinking water:
- More than 75% people are chronically dehydrated.
- Thirst is often mistaken for hunger.
- Even mild dehydration will slow down one's metabolism by 3%.
- A preliminary study conducted in the University of Washington observed that one glass of water reduces the appetite for 98% of the dieters.
- The major cause of fatigue is lack of water.
- Research shows that 8-10 glasses of water a day can remarkably comfort back and joint pain
- Drinking at least 8 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer, breast cancer, and bladder cancer
How much water is required?
On an average 8-10 glasses of water must be consumed in a day.
The right time to drink water:
- 2 glasses after waking up helps activate internal organs
- 1 glass 30 minutes before a meal to help digestion
- 1 glass before taking a bath to help lower blood pressure
- 1 glass before going to bed to avoid strokes or heart attacks
To improve your water drinking habits, remember that it includes:
- Water comprises 80% of your brain
- Composes 90% of your blood
- Helps to convert food into energy
- Facilitate the body to absorb nutrients
- Forms 22% of your bones
- Constitutes 75% of your muscles
- Supports the health of all tissues including your face & skin
Tips for drinking more water
- Pick up a glass of water as soon as you get up every day
- Take water breaks at work
- Carry water bottles with you to work or college
- Place a cup of water on your desk to sip on while you work
- Always drink water before, during and after physical activity