Hypertension is a medical condition which refers to high blood pressure. In severe conditions, it leads to risks of heart attack and stroke, and kidney failure. While several medications are available nowadays to help lower blood pressure, but they all come with side effects such as leg cramps, dizziness, and insomnia. Fortunately, a number of natural home remedies have proven to be effective in treating hypertension. These vary from maintaining an adequate body weight to regular exercise and following the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet.
- Regular Physical Exercise- Moderate-intensity exercise including walking, jogging, cycling, or swimming.
- Maintaining adequate body weight- Weight loss even 10% of the bodyweight can assist you in bringing down the blood pressure. Also, maintain a waistline effective in controlling blood pressure.
- Reducing sodium in diet- Reducing the amount of extra salt added in food helps in lowering and maintaining blood pressure.
- Increasing potassium intake- It is an important mineral that helps to excrete excess sodium from the body and maintains body fluid level.
- Managing stress-practice yoga, meditation and breathing exercises to ease stress.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Say no to nicotine and alcohol addiction.
- Herbal remedies/Natural dietary supplements to lower blood pressure: Basil, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Flaxseed, Garlic, Ginger, Hawthorn, Celery, French lavender, Carrots, Tomatoes, Pomegranate, Beets & Radishes, Sesame, Coconut Water, Dark Chocolate, Hibiscus Tea, Mistletoe, Turmeric, Vitamin D (from sun), Omega-3 fatty acids.