A major cause of morbidity and disability, bone illness is a common health problem affecting an increasingly ageing population across the globe. In India, progressive joint disease and major degenerative joint changes are seen more in women, especially among the elderly. The etiology of pain is intricate, and the reasons can be inflammatory and non-inflammatory, impairing an overall quality of life. While there are many drugs to cure pain and inflammation, sometimes their effectiveness may be limited.
On some occasions, even surgical treatment does not promise complete relief. Thankfully, mother nature has given us some confirming alternatives in the form of bounteous herbs. Not only are they effective in reducing pain but they also aid the overall functioning and well-being of the body. Lakshadi Guggulu is one such polyherbal formulation made from Guggulu-one of the most used ayurvedic herbs and a key ingredient of many imperative formulations used in Ayurveda. Guggulu means ‘that which protects against disease’. A flowering plant in the Burseraceae family, it produces a fragrant and nutrient-laden resin called Guggulu which is used in Vedic medicine to alleviate bone-related problems.
(Shop From Our Fantastic Range of Polyherbal Formulation)
For ages, this natural medication has helped people maintain great bone health. Lakshadi Guggulu is formulated from six herbal extracts that are rich sources of calcium, vitamins, and minerals. Lakshadi guggul contains guggul (Commiphora wightii) laksha (laccifer lacca), hadajora (cissus quadrangularis), arjun bark (Terminalia arjun), ashwagandha roots (Withania somnifera), and nagabala (sida veronicmifolia). It possesses anti-osteoporotic effects and is very useful in the management of low bone mineral density and bone diseases such as osteoarthritis, fracture, pain, and osteoporosis, besides curing the misalignment of bones. Lakshadi guggul also goes by other names like laksha Guggulu, lakshadi Guggulu, lakshadi guggul, and laxadi Guggulu.
Key Ingredients Present In Lakshadi Guggulu
Lakshadi Guggulu contains the following ingredients:
Laksha -1part (gum)
Asthishrinkhala -1 part (stem)
Arjun - 1 part (bark)
Ashwagandha -1 part (root)
Nagabala -1part (plant)
Guggulu - 5 parts (gum)
Method Of Preparation
- Wash, dry, and powder the ingredients apart from the Guggulu. Pass through a thin sieve.
- Weigh them separately in the required quantities and mix them. Weigh and crush Guggul.
- Add an equal amount of water and gently boil in an iron vessel to a thick consistency.
- Add fine powder of mixed ingredients with continuous stirring.
- Use castor oil to the extent required to facilitate the pounding until a semi-solid uniformly mixed mass of suitable plasticity is obtained. Round it in a circular motion making pills with a palm using little castor oil.
- Dry the rounded pills in a tray-dryer at a temperature not exceeding 600 for about 12 hours.
- Keep them in a tightly closed container to protect them from direct light and moisture.
Ayurvedic Properties Of Ingredients
- Guggulu: Guggulu has Bhagna Sandhanakara (fracture healing) and Shothahara (anti-inflammatory) properties
- Laksha: Laksha has rakta Stambhaka (hemostatic), Bhagnasandhana (bone healing), and Vranaropaka (wound healing) properties
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha constitutes Rasayana, and Vedanasthapana (rejuvenating, immunity-boosting properties)
- Nagabala: Nagabala consists of Rasayana (rejuvenating) properties
- Arjuna: Arjuna is beneficial in treating fractures, ulcers, and heart diseases, owing to its liver curing properties
- Asthishrinkhala: Antioxidant, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-microbial properties are some of the beneficial effects of asthishrinkhala
Medicinal Properties Of Lakshadi Guggulu
In Ayurvedic science, it is said that the presence of Vata causes all pains. Besides symptoms of Shotha (Palpation feels like a bag filled with air) and Shula (pain on flexion and extension of the joints) lead to the diminution of joint movement. The ingredient in this formulation is loaded with nutritional components such as carbohydrates, alkaloids, terpenoids, phenols, tannins, and phytosteroids.
Lakshadi guggul possesses the following medicinal properties:
- Anti-inflammatory- Soothing mild to chronic inflammation
- Analgesic: Relieving ostealgia or pain in the bones
- Adaptogenic: Aiding the promotion of haemostasis.
- Immune-modulatory: Promoting bone immunity and strength
- Phyto-estrogenic: Curing misalignment of bones
- Anti-osteoporotic: Preventing porous bones and improving bone density
Ayurvedic Indications Of Lakshadi Guggulu
Lakshadi Guggulu consists of deepana, pachana, shothaghna, dhatu poshaka, and asthi sandhan-kara. It successfully calms Vata dosha in the body. This herbal formulation has been proven very effective in easing types of pain by alleviating severe bone-related pain besides treating mild to chronic inflammation.
Health Benefits Of Lakshadi Guggul
Treats Chronic Bone Ailments
Lakshadi Guggul is extremely rich in calcium. The deficiency of calcium causes osteoporosis which occurs because of degeneration or deterioration of bone tissue. Lakshadi guggul has anti-inflammatory properties and helps in bone healing and deposition of calcium on bone. Due to its Vata-balancing nature, regular use of Lakshadi Guggul prevents bone degeneration.
Laksha, ashwagandha, and arjuna found in Lakshadi Guggul possess potent anti-inflammatory properties and help in reducing mild to severe inflammation related to rheumatoid arthritis.
Combats Postmenopausal Osteoporosis
Lakshadi guggul has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help to hunt free radical scavenging effects. This quality helps in bone rejuvenation and calcium deposition which aids the pain related to postmenopausal osteoporosis.
Fights Chronic Fatigue
According to Ayurveda, fatigue is also known as klama. Fatigue is a state of general weakness that is when the body feels tired, and the body is deprived of a continuous flow of energy. Lakshadi Guggul is useful in managing general weakness which can occur due to an imbalance of Kapha dosha and a deficiency of essential minerals in the body. This formulation fills up the essential requirement of calcium in the body which reduces the symptoms of fatigue or weakness.
Taking lakshadi guggul dosage depends on the severity of the disease, pain, inflammation, and health condition of the respective patient. It is strongly recommended to consult an ayurvedic doctor or medicinal practitioner who upon evaluating the history and health condition will recommend the precise dosage. Generally, the dosage can vary from 1 gram to 5 grams. The maximum dosage should not exceed 6 grams a day.
Dose - Take 1-2 twice a day or as directed by the physician
Lakshadi guggul is known to increase calcium levels in the body. Hence, use it with caution in case of hypercalcemia, as it can further increase serum calcium levels. A physician will prescribe you the appropriate dosage based on your individual needs. It is suggested not to use this while breastfeeding and pregnancy or consult your doctor before using it.
Side Effects of Lakshadi Guggul
The herbal formulation most likely does not show any major toxicity or side effects in the patients. However, if ingested in heavy dosages (more than 6 grams per day) it can cause stomach upset and headache. It is extremely important to contact a doctor before consuming this herbal-based decoction.
Lakshadi guggul is a polyherbal formulation made from Guggulu which is one of the most used ayurvedic herbs and a key ingredient of many ayurvedic medicines. It has anti-osteoporotic effects as well as anti-inflammatory and analgesic qualities. Not only does this formula aids stabilization of physiological processes and cures, but it also is a very effective remedy for treating major bone-related illnesses. Patients on medication for hypertension or suffering from hypercalcemia should consult their doctor before using Lakshadi Guggul.