The monsoons are a pleasant change from the sweltering summer heat, but they bring uninvited guests, which must be avoided at all costs. The diseases that monsoon season bring include jaundice, food poisoning, dysentery, typhoid, flu, cholera, cough and cold, and indigestion. Senior citizens as well as children are the ones who get affected the most. It is also vital to take care of your fitness during monsoon. The monsoons are finally at our doorstep, so it is time we follow these simple steps to stay healthy this monsoon season.
TIPS TO SAFEGUARD YOU THIS MONSOON
Follow A Healthy Eating Habits
- Diseases in the rainy season are mostly water-borne so make sure you only drink water that is filtered and boiled.
- Keep away from your favorite chaat, juices, colas, kulfi and other street foods this monsoon season to stay healthy.
- Avoid raw vegetables and salads unless you are eating at home where you can wash and clean them thoroughly.
Keep Yourself hydrated
- Stay away from aerated drinks that lessen the mineral levels in the body. The preservatives and sugars in them act as diuretics.
- Herbal& green teas are a good choice for their antibacterial and antioxidants effect. Also, tea is a safe choice as the water & milk are boiled during the tea-making process.
Avoid walking in the rain
- Singing in the rain is great when your favourite stars are doing it. But walking in the rain exposes you to viral diseases such as leptospirosis and the damp can also cause many fungal infections.
- Diabetics must take extra care to avoid walking barefoot as the ground will be teeming with germs.
Use mosquito repellent
- Stagnated water is a breeding ground for insects, especially mosquitoes, and the monsoons are peak time for malaria.
- Always wear or carry a mosquito repellent.
Take care of eyes:
- Eye infections like conjunctivitis, stye, dry eyes and corneal ulcers are common during the monsoons. If ignored, they may lead to blindness.
- People working long hours in front of a computer may also experience redness, itching or irritation. Try not to touch your eyes.