Ice apple: Summer fruit that’s bursting with goodness
Ice apple (palm fruit) is a seasonal fruit of the sugar palm tree and is widely available during the sizzling summer. The fleshy fruit loaded with translucent, juicy fluid has excellent cooling properties.
Ice apple is very similar to litchi fruit in texture and tastes like a slightly sweet tender coconut. It provides the perfect blend of minerals and sugars for the body during the summer season. The fruit is called tadgola in Hindi, nungu in Tamil, taati munjalu in Telugu.
Some of the benefits of ice apple
1. Ice apple acts as an excellent coolant and naturally cools the body in the summer and regulates the body temperature. It quenches the thirst and provides energy to stay active throughout the day.
2. Ice apple is packed with good amount of minerals sodium and potassium which helps in maintaining the fluid and electrolyte balance in the body. This property of ice apple works best in preventing dehydration and fatigue in summer.
3. It is a natural remedy for several stomach ailments and digestive issues, ice apple helps in relieving constipation and promotes bowel movements. It also relieves acidity and stomach ulcers. Ice apple eases minor stomach ailments and nausea that often occur during pregnancy.
4.The presence of several phytochemicals in ice apple possesses strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that are beneficial in slowing down the process of ageing and reducing the risk of health problems such as heart disease and cancer.
5. Skin problems such as heat rashes and prickly heat are very common in summer. Applying the flesh of ice apple on the affected areas relieves the itchiness and provides a soothing effect.
6. Ice apple is loaded with potassium and helps in cleansing the toxins out of the body and promotes the liver health.
7. A low-calorie watery fruit ice apple is an ideal deal to lose weight. The presence of water keeps you satiated for a long time and help in losing the weight naturally.
Just a word of caution- overripe ice apples may cause stomach aches. The fruit is highly perishable and should be consumed within a day.