How Do I Manage Anxiety?
Anxiety never disappears - the trick is to handle it smartly. These tips help when you're feeling anxious or stressed:
- Take a Break - Practice yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the situation or circumstance helps clear your head.
- Eat nutritious meals. Do not skip meals. If you can't eat a full meal, keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine - they may worsen your anxiety and trigger panic attacks.
- Never skimp on your sleep - Get enough sleep. When stressed, your body needs additional sleep and rest.
- Daily exercises help you feel good and maintain your health. Small exercises like these help you handle anxiety:
- Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly. Count to 10 slowly. Repeat, and count to 20 if necessary.
- Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection - be proud of however close you get.
- Accept that you cannot control everything. Examine your stress: Is it really as bad as you think?
- Humour goes a long way in relieving anxiety.
- A positive attitude helps to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
- A support network or hobby gives you a break from everyday stress.
- Identify your stress & anxiety triggers. It could be work, family, school, etc. Keep a daily record of the times you feel stressed or anxious. Look for a pattern.
- Talk to a physician or therapist for professional help. Friends and family can also help when you feel overwhelmed.