Healthy Soups To Aid Digestion, Weight Loss
Monsoons are when we look forward to a cup of hot tea or coffee or maybe even a warm bowl of soup. Soups are an excellent choice for a warming, comforting, soothing and nourishing meal. Soups are loaded full of nutrient-dense vegetables and meats that are slowly cooked to retain their nutritive value, serving a meal in a bowl that is easy to digest, appetizing and slimming too.
Let’s look at some of the top benefits of soup:
1. It keeps you warm
2. Helps you lose weight
3. Keeps you satiated
4. It promotes digestion
5. It heals naturally
6. A power-packed nutritious meal
Delicious soups to try out
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene – a potent antioxidant that fights free radicals to prevent inflammation and reduces the risk of chronic diseases. The goodness of Vitamin K, A, C, and calcium promotes the bone health and improve cardiovascular health.
Servings: 3, cooking time: 20 minutes
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 1/2” ginger peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)/1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped (hara dhania)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan add the chopped ginger and garlic fry it lightly. Add carrots and celery, sauté for two minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar, and pepper. Cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- Let the tomatoes cool, then puree in the blender.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, season it with cumin seed and bay leaf.
- Add the tomato puree and approx. 1¼ cup of water (adjust the water to your taste).
- When the soup boils, turn the heat to low and let it simmer three to four minutes.
- Serve hot with baked bread cubes.
2. Hearty Veg Soup
This soup is full of healthy probiotics, that aids digestion and promotes health. It helps relieve fatigue, promote the digestive and intestinal function, guard against ulcers, and prevent inflammation.
Servings 4, preparation time 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup red pumpkin cubes
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 8 mushrooms cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup paneer cubes
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper powder to taste
- Boil about 4 cups of water and add the pumpkin, corn spring onions, carrot, ginger and garlic to it.
- Cook till the vegetables are well done.
- Now add the mushrooms, spinach, paneer, olive oil, and add required salt and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with soya sauce, lemon juice and pepper.
A bowl of green spinach soup is an ideal way to warm your body inside out. Rich in antioxidants and packed with nutrients possess natural anti-inflammatory properties, boosts cognitive function and memory and is great for bone health.
Servings: 4, Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups chopped spinach washed and drained
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic and ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoon corn flour dissolved in 1/2 cup cold milk
- salt and to taste
For the Garnish
- Freshly powdered jeera & pepper as required.
- Fresh cream 3 teaspoons
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan add the onions, ginger & garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of water and cook well for 5-7 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool, once cooled, blend in a mixer to a smooth puree.
- Strain the puree and transfer it to a saucepan, add corn flour-milk mixture and cream in a bowl and mix well till no lumps remain and add it to the spinach puree and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, pepper and jeera powder mix well and cook for 1 more minute.
- Serve hot garnished with fresh cream.