While cleansing your face in the morning before heading to work or applying vivid hues of eyeshadow so you look stunning at a late-night party, do you notice your eyelids appearing rather dim and lacklustre? Well, you have a very common dermatological problem known as dark eyelids. It is characterized by prominently dark skin on the eyelids compared to the natural colour of the dermal tissues in the face and rest of the body. At times, dark eyelids occur alongside dark circles forming under the eyes, but they can sometimes arise alone as well.
Though dark eyelids do not pose any serious health complications and are mostly a cosmetic concern, they could still indicate underlying health issues and even hamper one’s self-esteem. Fret not, for there are a plethora of easy tips and natural solutions to eliminate those hideous dark eyelids and attain refreshed eyes with an even skin tone all around. Read on, to know more.
(Add To Cart Our Best-Selling Under-Eye Creams, Eye Masks And Facial Serums To Bid Adieu To Dark Eyelids, Discolouration And Dark Circles!)
What Causes Dark Eyelids?
The chief factors that trigger dark eyelids are:
- Presence of dilated blood vessels, giving a dark appearance to the surrounding skin
- Wounds and injuries to the eyes or the tissues in the vicinity, which lead to darkened skin on the eyelids
- Overproduction of melanin - the component that imparts colour to the skin, thereby making eyelids look very dull and dark due to hyperpigmentation
Furthermore, hyperpigmentation in the skin can happen due to various reasons, including:
- Prolonged sun exposure, wherein UV rays damage skin cells and lead to age spots, freckles, dark eyelids
- Pregnancy, during which time hormone effects trigger surplus melanin synthesis that prompts dark patches on the skin – a disorder termed as melasma
- Thinning skin, due to ageing and eventual decrease of collagen and fat production in dermal cells
- Congenital conditions, such as hemangioma, tumours, cysts, dark moles called nevi, styes that are present right from birth
- Medications such as birth control pills induce hormonal fluctuations and give rise to dark regions on facial skin, including the eyelids
- Inflammatory ailments like dermatitis, allergies, chronic sinusitis, rheumatoid arthritis can result in swelling and discolouration in the skin
Simple And Effective Home Remedies To Banish Dark Eyelids:
Applying a chilled bag or surface on the eyelids works wonders in lessening dilation of blood vessels as well as inflammation in the region. Moreover, it also diminishes the appearance of injured or broken blood vessels and uneven skin tone on the eyelids.
Just wrap a few ice cubes in a clean, soft cloth and place it on the eyelids for 10 minutes daily to visibly reduce dark patches.
Tomato And Lemon Mask
Tomatoes are a marvellous natural remedy for dark eyelids. Blessed with vitamin C, potassium, antioxidants including lycopene and flavonoids and bleaching agents, this juicy red bounty rejuvenates dull, dry skin, stimulates collagen production, thwarts free radicals, toxins and lightens skin cells around the eyes to visibly resolve dark eyelids and dark circles.
Cut two thin slices of a fresh tomato, add a few drops of lemon juice on each of them and place this tomato and lemon mask on the eyelids for 5 – 7 minutes to dispel hyperpigmentation.
Green Tea Bags
Green tea is imbued with tannin, a potent antioxidant that tightens sagging skin, flushes out toxins and also has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce swelling, dryness and dark patches in the region of the eyes.
Keep two strained green tea bags in the fridge for 30 minutes, then place them on the eyes for 10 – 15 minutes and rinse off with cold water. Do this every day to eliminate dark eyelids and attain radiant complexion sans discoloured, uneven skin tone.
Bestowed with high water content, as well as vitamin C, K, and minerals zinc, potassium, cucumbers are a miraculous solution for thwarting dark eyelids and dark circles. They confer valuable hydrating, cooling effects to lower inflammation, puffiness and also improve skin elasticity and fade out dark patches.
After washing the face with a gentle cleanser, pat dry and place two chilled cucumber slices on the eyes. Massage it gently for 5 minutes, then wash off with cold water, to banish those unsightly dark eyelids and puffy, baggy, dim regions under the eyes.
While not resting enough at night and sleep disorders like insomnia do not cause dark eyelids, they do tend to make the condition worse, leading to obvious hyperpigmentation all around the eyes.
Ensure to get sufficient sleep for at least 7 – 8 hours every night, to allow the skin cells to undergo optimal repair processes and diminish the appearance of dark eyelids, for clear, glowing skin all over the facial region.