Living with the coronavirus has become the new normal. The central government is relaxing certain strict rules and regulations put in place to curb the spread of COVID-19.
Life seems to be moving on but with more caution. If you are a working professional, a business person or a vendor looking forward to stepping out of your house and getting back to your normal work routine do not let fear, anxiety and doubt stifle you. Instead, ensure that you practice some simple yet effective precautions to keep yourself and others safe. Also Read: Coronavirus: Effective Ways To Prevent The Transmission Of This Deadly Virus
In this article by Netmeds.com, we will tell you how to safeguard yourself, your family, friends and colleagues from coronavirus infection, while at home or when outdoors.
If You Are One Of Those Reporting Back To Work, Do The Following:
Before Stepping Out:
- Check your body temperature. If it is above 98.9 degrees Fahrenheit, stay home
- Wear masks and gloves. Always have an extra pair of gloves, masks, alcohol-based sanitizer and disinfectant wipes in your bag
- Have the Aarogya Setu App on your mobile phones. Ensure that you self-assess frequently to feel safe
- Wear your company ID card and wrap other important means of identification like PAN card, driving license etc. in a clear zip-lock so that you can show it without touching the document
- If there is a travel pass issued by your company or relevant authorities, keep it handy always
- If you are driving yourself to work, follow traffic rules. Do not indulge in rash driving or jump traffic signals
- Make sure your mask and gloves are in place. Avoid talking to strangers at traffic signals
- When using public transport, have your mask and gloves on without fail. Try to social distance as much as you can
What Should I Do After Reaching The Workplace?
Work, of course! But seriously, there are certain things you should do before reaching your workstation:
Follow your office guidelines. Get your temperature screened at the thermal scanners. Sanitize your hands before entering the office. Do not remove your mask
If you have a standalone business, make sure it is sanitized daily, before starting the day’s work. Here’s what you need to know:
- Place hand sanitizer and thermal screening provisions at the entrance
- The temperature range of all air conditioning devices should fall between 24-30 degrees Celsius. Relative humidity should be in the range of 40-70%
- Ensure that the frequently used surfaces like doorknobs, elevator buttons, handrails, benches, washroom fixtures on office premises and common areas are cleaned and regularly disinfected with a 1% sodium hypochlorite solution
- Make sure that there’s enough intake of fresh air in the workplace and that it has good cross ventilation
- Washrooms, drinking and handwashing stations should be sanitized frequently
- Cafeteria and canteen staff and waiters should wear masks and hand gloves
How Should I Protect Myself Indoors?
- A smile, namaste, virtual hug and high-fives are the best greetings
- Excited to see your colleagues? But no handshakes or hugs, please!
- Do not step into an elevator with more than 4 people. Use and dispose of toothpicks to press the buttons
- Social distancing must be followed in offices. Stand at least 6 feet away from your colleagues
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol regularly
- Avoid spending time in the pantry
- Stay put in your chair. Attending online meetings within the office is the safest thing to do
- Avoid unnecessary printouts and handing out documents. You get to stay safe and save the environment as well!
Done For The Day? Going Back Home:
If you are buying veggies, fruits and other essential items, keep your mask and gloves on, social distance and use a card to pay. Get back home safely
Reached Home. What Next?
Here’s how to reuse or dispose of your masks and gloves safely
Wash it properly and separately in a liquid detergent. Hang it and let it air dry under the sun. Handle it again, only after applying hand sanitizer
These are use and throw masks. Put it in a ziplock and seal it. Dispose of it in a separate dustbin meant for masks and gloves. Ditto with gloves. Put them in a ziplock, seal and dispose
Reusable masks are also known as N95 respirators. If you have used one of these, you can dry it for 3- 4 days and reuse it. Meanwhile, have a stock of N95 respirators which you can use on a rotational basis. Each mask dried up to 3 – 4 days can be reused for a maximum of 5 times
Check your body temperature again, do a self-assessment of your health
Eat healthy to boost immunity and stay safe
Putting Together A COVID-19 Protection Kit:
While it can be intimidating to step out of your home under the current circumstances, you can use certain products like face masks and hand sanitizers, to protect yourself and others. Also Read: Coronavirus: Not All Masks And Sanitizers Are Same. Know The Difference To Use Effectively
Here’s what your COVID-19 protection kit should contain:
- Face Masks
- Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer
- Disinfectant Wipes