|Healthy Eating |
- Eat only what your body needs
- Eat plenty of vegetables, fruits & whole grains.
- Eat less foods that are high in sugar and fat- e.g., carbohydrates
- If you must- consume only non- fat dairy and lean meats.
| ||Exercise |
- Adopt an active lifestyle
- Walk more, sit less
- Join a gym, but walking and taking the stairs can be just as good.
- 30 minutes of strenuous activity coordinated with your meals and medication is the ideal for most Type 2 diabetic adults.
|Stress Management |
- Anxiety interferes with disease management- you may forget your medication, diet plans, and forget to exercise
- Manage daily stress with yoga, meditation or soothing hobbies
| ||Avoid Alcohol |
- Avoiding Alcohol makes it easier to control your diabetes.
- Diabetic men are advised to take a maximum of TWO drinks per day
- Consumption may raise or lower your blood sugar drastically
- Check your blood glucose levels before drinking
- Eat when drinking, especially if you are on diabetic prescription medication or insulin.