Can An Unhealthy Lifestyle Cause Uterine Fibroids?
Uterine Fibroids are non-cancer causing tumour growth in the uterus. The size of fibroids may vary from very small, unnoticeable by the human eye, to large tumours that can disfigure or enlarge the uterus.
In maximum cases uterine fibroids do not show symptoms, thus, most of the women may not even know about having fibroids in their uterus. But, those who shows, include symptoms as:
- Increased or heavy flow during periods
- Pain and cramps in lower abdomen
- Pressure around pelvis
- Difficulty to pass stool (constipation)
- An urge to urinate more frequent
- Finding difficulties during emptying the bladder
- Increase in size of abdomen or uterus
The reason that leads to fibroid growth in uterus is still not clearly known. But, there are some explanations that might help in understanding what causes uterine fibroids.
- Genetics: Fibroids appears to run in families, indicating women with a family background of Fibroids have a higher chance to develop them.
- Hormones: Progesterone and Estrogen are the two main hormones involved in menstrual cycle. These hormones develop an inner lining of uterine wall through every cycle and this seems to stimulate fibroid growth.
- Other growth factors: Obesity, insulin like growth factors, also appeared to be the reason causing fibroids in uterus.
- Lifestyle: Alcohol consumption, low fruit and vegetable intake in diet, lack of vitamins, early start of periods, stress etc. are also associated with uterine fibroids.