Dehydration is a condition where the water level in human body plunges below what is required to carry out its normal functions. Dehydration is not just caused because we don’t drink enough water, or by increased sweating, but can also be brought on too much caffeine and eating foods with a high sodium content.
There are few things one should avoid to prevent dehydration.
- Drinking too much caffeine or in moderation especially in summers (coffee, tea and soft drinks).
- Drinking less water or glucose based fluids or consuming too much of synthetic fluids. These include artificial fruit juices.
- Intake foods with high salt content (cured meats such as bacon and ham, pickles, prawns and soya sauce).
- High-protein diets can cause mild dehydration due to increased water loss.
- Do not perform vigorous physical activities in sun.
Things to do to avoid dehydration are as follows;
- Drinking plenty liquids, especially mineral and glucose based (mixing with lime, lemon, or orange slices), prefer water and a lot of water.
- Consume foods that are rich in minerals, glucose and water content; lettuce (96%), squash (90%), milk (89%), apple (86%), cottage cheese (76%), white bread (36%), peanuts, (dry roasted 2%) and a few others.
- Fluid-rich meals helps body stay hydrated and replaces lost sodium and electrolytes.
- Fruits and vegetables must for summers are; grapefruit, watermelon, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, sweet peppers, radishes, tomatoes and a few others.
- Synthetic foods allowed are soups, popsicles, water ice, ice creams and gelatins.
- Hydrate properly before any kind of physical activity.