ANTIBIOTICS - HANDLE WITH CARE
Antibiotics are a valuable resource; antibiotic resistances happen when bacteria prevent an antibiotic from working effectively. Taking antibiotics when you don't need them speeds up antibiotic resistance. Whenever antibiotics are used it must be used with care. But the fact is people use it generously. On World Antibiotic Awareness Day let's be informed about the proper usage of Antibiotics.
Know About Antibiotics
Antibiotics are important medicines used to treat infections caused by bacteria. Antibiotics DO NOT treat infections caused by viruses.
Viral infections are the cause of the common cold, as well as the flu, and some infections of the nose, sinuses, ears, throat and chest.
Inappropriate use includes
- Not taking your antibiotic as prescribed
- Use antibiotics wisely and take them as prescribed, right patient, right drug, right dose, right time
Taking Antibiotics unnecessarily is a bad idea!
- Antibiotics DO NOT kill viruses
- Taking them often can lead to Antibiotic Resistance
- Antibiotic resistance occurs when the bacteria are no longer killed by antibiotics
- Infections caused by resistant bacteria can be very difficult to treat
How to avoid antibiotic resistance?
- Always make sure to take antibiotics only when they are prescribed by your healthcare professional
- Follow the prescribed antibiotics directions for use carefully and always complete the recommended course