Uses of Frusemide
Frusemide is used to treat edema (fluid retention).
Frusemide: Diuretics (Loop Diuretics)
How Frusemide works
Frusemide works by inhibiting the reabsorption of sodium and chloride in the proximal and distal tubules and in the thick ascending loop of Henle by inhibiting the sodium-chloride cotransport system. As a result, it promotes diuresis (urine output) by enhancing the excretion of water along with sodium, chloride, magnesium and calcium.
When to consult your doctor
Consult your doctor if you experience:
- If you experience severe allergic reactions (such as skin rash, itching, photosensitivity, skin peeling, swelling of the lips, face, tongue or throat or difficulty in breathing or swallowing)
- If you experience symptoms of stevens-johnson syndrome (such as blistering or peeling of the skin around the eyes, nose, mouth or genital, with fever or flu-like symptoms)
- If you experience vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels)
- If you experience signs of kidney inflammation (such as pain in lower back, blood in the urine, fever, feeling drowsy)
- If you experience blood clot in the legs with pain and swelling
- If you experience signs of pancreatitis (such as severe pain in the upper abdomen, shifting towards the back)
- If you experience signs of kidney inflammation (such as pain in lower back or blood in the urine)
- If you experience signs of metabolic acidosis (such as nausea, vomiting, irregular heart rate, chest pain and weakness)